Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Another week

I'm starving. In Argentina, a common time to eat dinner is 9:30.... I might have said that in an earlier post, I don't remember. All I know is this is driving me nuts!

I'm sad that I'm missing the summer in Kansas. I love the summer there. The sound of the cicadas and the lightning bugs. Missing my friends and family but love the friends I've made here :)

They have these things here called alfajors. They're basically dulce de leche (basically like caramel)or mousse sandwitched between two cookies then covered in chocolate. They're sooo good! I haven't been eating too many though but they're soo cheap! like .50! I don't know what I'll do in the US without them. Right now, I'm alternating between eating them and some baked crackers...Hmmm, which is healthier?

The day before yesterday, there were huge piles of trash in the streets because the trash guys have been on strike. It was really bad in the downtown area but they hired people to come in and pick up the trash. There is still trash on the streets though right now though not nearly as much. I wish I would have gotten a picture of the HUGE piles but I didn't know they would be gone the next day!

I'm really busy during the week with homework and classes. We've had to do a lot of writing and stuff. Mostly just responses to the activities we've done in class and things like that. For my class with Ian (my KU professor), we have been reading a play called Illia. Its about the Ex. President of Argentina, President Illia. He was overthrown by a military coup but the play definitely has you on his side. Its told from the point of view of his daughter. Apparently the Author is very famous. Last night, we went to go see the play at a theater here. It was incredible. The guy who played Illia's name is Luis Brandoni. He is a very famous Argentine actor who has starred in many movies. He was spectacular and so much fun to watch. The audience was very involved in the play and actually clapped when he first walked on stage. By the end of the play, the woman next to me was crying.


Before we went to the play, a few of my friends and I went hung out and walked around the city a bit. We saw some really pretty apartments where the ambassadors live. We stumbled across Floralis Genérica. It was a gift to the city by the Argentine architect Eduardo Catalano. Catalano once said that the flower "is a synthesis of all the flowers and is both a hope that is reborn every day to open." And yes, I just copied that off Wikipedia.
Before we walked around, all the students in the KU program went to the Malba Art Museum. We need to do a mini-presentation on something about the museum. My group chose to talk about...uhh....some really famous Argentine Artist whose name I cannot remember for the life of me right now. Antonio Berni!!! He has a TON
of art there. I'm very interested in learning about him. I'll give a report ASAP!

PS. In case any of you were wondering, the ash from the Volcano has made it to Buenos Aires. Not very much but just enough to be noticeable. Other than that, the weather is BEAUTIFUL. High usually in the 60s. All you need is a light jacket

This is the view as the sun was setting last night. Incredible.

1 comment:

  1. Great story, sorry you are starving! You need more snacks. Love the photo.

    ReplyDelete