SOOOO, I made it safe and sound to Buenos Aires :) The plane ride was a lot better than I thought it would be. We had a really nice tailwind the for both flights (about 20 mph going to BA). I watched the Green Hornet on TV about 3 times while I tried to fall asleep. Our stewardess on our flight from KC to Washington pronounced the city "Byoonos Airs" and we all got a pretty good kick out of that. My host mom is really nice and goofy. She actually speaks pretty good English which is really helpful these first few days getting everything figured out. Below is a picture of my room and the view from outside the window.


The weather here es muy bonita! It was about 75 today and I wanted to wear shorts but my host mom told me it wasn't a good idea as I would attract unwanted attention to myself. I met the other girl who I'm going to be living with, her name is Ashley and she's really nice. She's 22 and is majoring in Spanish Education. She has taken the same amount of spanish as I have which is really helpful actually. I think I would feel very intimidated and overwhelmed if she was better than me or if I was by myself.
Our host mom, Corina, took us on a walk through her neighborhood which has a park to the right of the photo above and a shopping area to the left. It was really nice but I was exhausted. Then our host mom left us on our own for dinner and Ashely started walking around looking for somewhere to eat. The thing is, it was like 6:00 and most food places don't open here until 8 so we were wondering around for half an hour at least trying to find something. Eventually we found somewhere that was more expensive than we wanted but at that point, we were too tired to care. We just wanted to eat since we hadn't since breakfast on the airplane. We went to a place called "Pizza y Espuma." In Spanish, espuma is foam which in this context refers to the foam on the top of a beer. Ashley and I struggled through talking to waiter in spanish. It was fun but really difficult.
Tomorrow we are doing a tour of the city beginning with the University. I'm ready for bed :) Sorry if none of this post made sense, I'm very tired
Chao
Anna - enjoy every moment. Your room is cute. Love the blog!!! Love you too!!!
ReplyDelete